Last month we reported on an early wedding and a baptism. As mentioned in last month, a Ladies Guild was formed at Cherry Church in 1936, supporting the church both spiritually and financially until recent times. History in Australia was often male centric with ladies referred to by their husband’s name and our Guild ladies were no different.
These two photos dated 1948 were taken on the Strange property in Star and Arrow Road. Those in the list with an * are those who we know were foundation members. We are keen to find out more names of Guild members and more photos too if possible.
Only one minute book survives, so if anyone knows of other minute books, or other information about the Ladies Guild, we would be grateful to have them. We would also be grateful for ladies first names and maiden names where we currently do not know them.
We have so far, members and those ladies who attended from time to time; Mrs Barnes (Minister’s wife), Mrs Basey, Mrs Basham*, Connie Brumby, Evelyn Brumby*, Elsie Chapman, Annie Coats, Kath Coates, Mrs Davis, Mrs Dunn, Ruby Edwards, Evelyn Frith, Mrs Frith, Irene Harvey, Mrs Haythorpe, Mrs Houston (Ministers wife), Thelma Jackson, Barbara Jacobs, Coral Jacobs, Miss L Jacobs, Miss Margaret Jacobs, Marjorie Jacobs*, Martha Jacobs, Daphne Lewis, Dorothy Lewis, Miss E Lewis, Effie Lewis, Dorothy Mahar, Mrs L M Makins, Mrs Mashford (Ministers wife), Mrs M A Paddick, Mrs Parrot (Minister’s wife), Mrs Ricks, Nance Rosenthal, Mrs Smith, Mrs Strange*, Mrs Stone*, Vera Stone* (Effie’s sister), L Terrell*, Mrs Trigg (Minister’s wife) and Mrs Watchman.
Cherry Church Contacts
• Pastor: 0404 008 372
• Chairperson Congregational Council: Darryl Dyson, 0412 075 063