Cherry Gardens Cemetery
600 Cherry Gardens Rd,
The cemetery is small in size and is the resting place of many of the area’s early pioneer families. There are over 250 people interred in the grounds.
The Cherry Gardens cemetery on Cherry Gardens Road, Cherry Gardens, is located in the rural area of the City of Onkaparinga.
Prior to 1881, all burials in the Cherry Gardens area were at the Cherry Gardens Wesleyan Chapel grounds on Hicks Hill Road where many of the first residents were interred. In January 1882, the trustees of the Church ’declared that the churchyard, on account of limited grounds at their disposal, and as a public cemetery had opened, had passed a resolution closing their cemetery’.
By September 1881, the District Council of Clarendon had surveyed and dedicated 9 hectares of land to a cemetery. The first burial, of Sarah Mackereth of Scott Creek, took place on 30 March 1882. The first curator was Mr Charles Threadgold, appointed on 21 March 1881.